Table of Contents
The other day, I felt so relaxed and easy, despite all my normal work, chores, and exercise activities.
Throughout the rest of the week I kept asking myself the question, “What would life be like if it were easy?”
There were many answers that came to my mind, and I’ll share a few of them with you below. The biggest thing is that you can continue doing your normal activities, but your day can be filled with ease, peace and contentment.
It’s possible to try it now:
Continue reading, but try to relax and feel effortless. Peace and ease.
It is possible to relax your muscles, take deep, smooth breaths, smile lightly, and feel grateful for this moment.
What does that look like for you?
This is the essence of living in easy mode.
Let’s discuss some ways you can access this information during your day.
Simple Mode Mindset
Imagine being able to access every kind of experience in your life: joy, happiness, playfulness and sadness.
This is not the way we see it. We think external circumstances and other people cause our internal states. What if we thought that any state could be accessed regardless of external circumstances?
With this in mind, you can imagine being able to access peace and ease at any time. A feeling of contentment. A feeling of love and appreciation for life.
It’s easy to do right now. It’s amazing!
You can now practice it by doing something, such as drinking water, washing dishes, or reading a message. Different activities, same mindset.
This ease is at our fingertips at any time. All we have to do is be open to it.
Things that Make Your Life Easier
To live a simple life, you don’t need to do anything else. These are just a few things that I have found make my life easier. You might not find all the answers, but you can try them one at a given time.
- Do one thing at a given time When you are walking, don’t stop and take in each step. Do one thing at a given time when you are doing something online. It’s a simple idea, but it is often forgotten.
- Create space between things. In between tasks and meetings, take a deep breath. Give yourself some time, some downtime. Even if you only have a few moments, enjoy this wonderful space.
- Full appreciation: Can you appreciate the amazing nature of every moment?
- Keep your clothes clean After you’ve finished cooking or eating, wash your dishes. Wipe down the counter. Keep your computer clean. This applies to all things: reply to emails, clear your downloads folder, and don’t open a million tabs at once. It’s a simple thing but it is often overlooked by people. It is a great way to live life in an easy mode, rather than letting things pile up.
- Do less – You don’t have to do less to enjoy an easy life. It can be very nice. You can reduce the amount of work you do each day. This may take some time, as it involves renegotiating commitments or training people to do the same.
- Self-care: Give yourself time to rest so you don’t feel exhausted. Self-care should be a loving, easy act. Brush your teeth, relax, and take care of your body, emotions, and mind.
- Whole foods: While this post isn’t about diet, I have found such a significant wellness benefit to eating mostly whole food. This means fruits, vegetables, and legumes. You don’t have to be a fanatic about this — processed foods/junk can be eaten, but these foods should be considered as a spice and not the main ingredient of your diet. This is how my body and mind feel.
- Take your time: Enjoy every bite of whatever you eat. Allow for a few seconds between bites. Don’t try to get more. It’s simple to eat whole foods and eat slowly. This makes a huge difference in your eating habits.
- Move often – I don’t mean every day. Move every 30-45 minutes. Stretch, do a few poses of yoga, go outside and do some weight exercises. Do more than just a short walk once a day. You can also bike ride, exercise, play a sport or do a yoga program. You can rest a few days if you feel tired or sore. This type of movement will make your body feel energetically healthy and at ease over the long-term.
- Create a cushion. You can create a financial cushion by either spending less or making more money. Plan for a cushion. Ask for longer deadlines so you don’t overpromise and deliver late. A cushion makes life so much easier!
- Take small steps if you feel overwhelmed. Overwhelm can cause us to lose our way. When faced with many tasks/decisions, it’s normal to feel overwhelmed. Easy mode is about picking one item off the pile and focusing your attention on it. Next, take the next item off the pile. Focus on one thing for a moment.
- Focus sessions are a great way to get things done
- Keep things simple We complicate things. What is the easiest way to approach the tasks you have before you? What can you do to make decisions quickly and without overthinking them? Communicate clearly and say what you want. Do not add meaning or suffering to the things you are communicating. Be simple in all interactions and tasks.
This is a long list that can seem overwhelming. Pick one thing to try and pick it up! These are just ideas I found to be extremely helpful.
Let’s discuss the last item of the list — making things as simple as possible.
Simpler when we overcomplicate things
It’s almost like we make things more complicated all the time. Our amazing brains are constantly thinking. This can make life more complicated than necessary, often a lot.
These are just a few examples of how complicated things can be.
- We interpret what people do and say, creating extra meaning from it. A friend might say they don’t want coffee with us. We may interpret that as a sign that they don’t want to be with us. Sometimes it could be because they are feeling tired.
- There are so many things to do today. It feels overwhelming. We get stuck doing everything because we know how difficult it will be and how much we might not be capable of completing them all. It is actually simpler to choose one thing and start.
- Anxiety about an event can lead to anxiety. We worry about whether we will do a good job, what others will think of us and spend a lot time worrying about it. It’s simple to be prepared but not over-prepare and just show up.
These are just a few of the many examples. We do this all the time. Life is not easy anymore because we worry too much, overthink and stress out.
This allows us to simply notice when we are doing it. Instead of dwelling on it, which can make things more complicated, we can simply notice. What is the simplest thing you can do now? What is the simplest thing you can do right now?
People prefer to use the simplest interpretation of what they say or do. The most simple meaning.
As you go about your day, think of the easiest thing you can do now to help others. Enjoy that simplicity.
How easy life can be
It’s not possible to live a happy life. It can be very easy, sometimes.
We’ll become exhausted if we are always stressed and on difficult mode. If we are constantly stressed, always on difficult mode, then we might lack the energy to do something that really demands our full effort.
We’ll be able to jump into action if we are able to go on an easy pace for the majority of the day. However, when we have to do something hard, we will.
Life on an easy mode for me is relaxing. It’s simple. It’s as simple as washing dishes, writing emails, or having a conversation. It’s about enjoying the exercise, taking good care of myself, and allowing space, silence, and breath to take over.
Life in easy mode is flow. It’s a tai-chi sequence. It is fluid, beautiful and smooth.